I consider myself to be a fairly deep thinker, and not a day goes by where I don’t think obsessively about life, training, health, politics, religion, morality, economics, or a bunch of other controversial topics.
I am constantly questioning and analyzing things…sometimes on a deep analytical level…and other times on a shallow kiddie pool type of level.
Most of the time I’ll just post some of the random thoughts I’ll have each day as a Facebook status, but I figured I would start writing them all down and eventually post a collection of them as a blog post someday.
Today is that day.
So in my first ever blog ‘thought experiment’, I present a few of the burning questions that have been swirling around in my head lately…
1. Do the ‘health gurus’ out there who advise against eating processed foods know that whey protein power is also processed?
2. Is it just me or has Google made anyone with an opinion, and everyone who can afford to pay $5 per month to host a blog, a nutrition and strength training “guru”?
3. Who is the moron who came up with the annoying cliche: Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels? Really? If that was even remotely true why are there so many overweight people out there with the stat climbing every day?
4. What does cliche mean anyway? Isn’t that cliche?
5. Why do people try to convince themselves that Stevia and other healthy natural sweeteners taste better than real sugar? If that’s true, why are these peeps usually the first ones in line at Coldstone for their cheat meal on the weekend?
6. Why do the same people also try to convince us that their ‘chocolate ice cream’ flavored protein powder actually tastes exactly like real chocolate ice cream? (Shhhh don’t tell them how awesome real chocolate ice cream is so there will be more for the rest of us) 😀
7. What’s really more fun…being ripped or eating pizza and ice cream? No really.
8. Why is everything that tastes good bad for you; and everything that tastes bad good for you?
9. Why did half of you just disagree with my previous question?
10. Why do I have a craving for pizza and ice cream right now?
11. Why don’t most fitness ‘experts’ out there ever discuss gut health? Do they not realize that all physique changes and increases in performance all begin with the optimization of the health of your gut?
12. Do pre-contest diets, crash diets, muscle building diets, etc optimize your gut health?
13. Why do people get so angry and defensive when people tell them the way they’re eating/living/training/etc isn’t healthy or intelligent?
14. Why do most people train for looks instead of for performance? What good is being “ripped” if you can’t defend yourself in a street fight when your life is on the line? Are you at least fast enough to run away or have the quickness & agility to evade?
15. Why do so many women out there rock fake hair, fake nails, fake tan, fake boobs, fake eyelashes, fake face paint, etc, and then turn around and say they want a ‘real’ man?
16. Why do guys say they want a ‘real’ woman, but then turn around and let the real ones go…only to chase nasty skanks and cheap thrills instead?
17. Why don’t women just ask the mirror if the dress makes their butts look big? (All ‘real’ men know the answer)
18. Why do guys still lie to impress women? If you could actually pull off the lie it wouldn’t have to be a lie. Right? Confused? Get up to speed there Sparky.
19. Do the women who try to manipulate men by withholding sex realize that there are always 2 or 3 HOT skanks always waiting in the wings to pounce on their desperate undersexed boyfriend/husbands?
20. Do those same women know that withholding something that is in huge supply in the marketplace (in this case women willing to have sex) is rarely a good bargaining chip? It’s just basic economics really. When supply increases (skanks don’t die they multiply) and demand remains unchanged (a guys demand for sex is always high), then it leads to lower equilibrium price/value (the value of your sex is worth less) and higher quantity (there are a bunch of other women out there waiting to steal your man from you ). Please get up to speed all of you ladies who use “sex rations” as a man “control” method. 😀
21. Does anyone really like doing deadlifts?
22. Is it just me or are women who deadlift usually incredibly sexy?
23. Why do so many people these days say they love training legs? Are they just not lifting heavy enough? Am I lifting too heavy?
24. Why do people criticize what the President is doing when they can’t even keep their own house in order?
25. If you are the assistant manager at Burger King (for example) and you criticize every move the president makes (Bush, Obama, etc), do you think that your managerial experience qualifies you to throw ‘managerial stones’ at someone who is running a nation of 300 million people + basically managing the rest of the known world?
26. Are most pro sports fixed? You’ve got to admit…the Japan team overcoming all odds after the Tsunami disaster to win the FIFA Women’s World Cup makes for a much better movie storyline than if the Americans had won…
27. Did Micheal Jordan, Joe Montana, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Lee, or Walter Peyton ever do bosu ball workouts? Wobbleboard training? TRX?
28. Who is the greatest athlete of all time? Michael Jordan, Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Jerry Rice, Barry Bonds, Wayne Gretzky, Tiger Woods, or Roger Federer? Am I missing anyone here?
29. Who would win in a fight: Mike Tyson vs Muhammad Ali? Bruce Lee vs Mike Tyson? GSP vs Bruce Lee?
30. Who really is the worlds strongest man? The guy who can squat over 1,000 pounds or the guy who can do a deep single leg pistol squat and then jump onto a 3 foot high box from that deep pistol squat position?
31. When you’re in the gym and walk into one of those nasty “protein farts” and u can actually taste it…does that count toward your calorie count for that day? I wonder if that counts for 1, 2, 3, or more calories? 😀
32. Is everyone in the fitness industry now a business/social media/marketing expert?
33. Can you really be considered an expert/authority on something when you make less than 300K per year doing it? 200K? What’s the authority “earning cutoff”? 100K?
34. If there was a tournament (where America called in and voted), which would determine the hottest female fitness model on the planet who would win it and why? Who would win the smartest?
35. Is it just me or is Jamie Eason the most beautiful person on the planet both inside and out?
36. Is the whole point of competing as an athlete primarily to win and make money to help yourself + your family or just to have fun and express yourself?
37. Since when did a “Participation Award” become cool, winning with swagger become offensive, and losing become cute and acceptable? Who is the idiot that let Pussification take a vice grip on our once great nation?
38. Can you think of two more legit “sport specific exercises than jumping or running? If not, why are some trainers still running these ‘standing on a wobble board’ workout scams to make exercises from 50 years ago look more “functional”? What the heck does “functional” mean anyway?
39. What the heck is “lean muscle”? Isn’t all muscle lean?
40. Does anyone out there still follow the old-school bulking & cutting approach? Seems to me that when you follow the old-school bulk approach you just end up getting fatter in the end. Then once you’re fat you use the cut approach to diet back down. Sooooo basically you put all that extra stress on your joints and internal organs for 12-16 weeks only to end up the exact same size as when you started. Am I missing something here?
41. What’s more annoying: a radical religious nut, a radical political nut, or a radical health nut? My vote is for the latter…
42. Why are several of the women who read this post going to hate on the girl pictured above and accuse me of running a soft core porn site?
43. Does anyone have the phone number or Facebook URL of the girl pictured above? 😀
44. When are haters going to start getting paid for all of their hard work and commitment to the cause? My guess is never.
45. Why is the divorce rate so high in this country? Do we all just suck at communication or is the concept of marriage just a fatally flawed theory?
46. If marriage contracts were structured like NFL contracts would that help make marriages more efficient and last longer? (Salary cap, incentives, 3-5 year deals, extensions based on performance, no guaranteed money…)
47. Should we be more worried about Canadians sneaking into the country or Mexicans? Last time I checked, Canadians were more expensive to hire and also consumed more natural resources. I could be wrong though so don’t quote me on that one….yet.
48. Why do people always say that old-school is better? I bet the people from the ‘old school’ day and age probably say that the school before them was better also. Do we have to go back to the stone ages to get the best of everything?
49. What’s up with the cheesy social media announcements that begin with “I have the biggest/greatest/most exciting moment of my life/career/etc”…and then end with…”but I can’t tell you anything yet”? When are we supposed to start caring?
50. Why do some people tweet everything they’re eating on their ‘pre-contest diet’ but then constantly bitch and whine about it the entire time? Are we supposed to care that you make ridiculous life choices and aren’t mentally tough enough to handle it? Delete.
51. Why do some people constantly bitch and moan about having to do cardio, as if the rest of us don’t already know it sucks?
52. Why do Crossfitters think they are doing high tech, sophisticated, new age, never-before-seen training when I was doing all of that stuff back in 8th grade?
53. How many things do I use on a daily basis that are taking years off of my life? How many things do I use daily that are helping to extend my lifespan? Will I come out the big winner in the end or will I die on the same day from the same cause regardless of what I do or how healthy I live? If you have the answer, prove it.
54. Do people still really believe that sit-ups and crunches actually work to get six pack abs?
55. Do vegetarians/vegans actually believe the foods they eat and the liquids they drink are actually 100% animal free? Really??
56. Do carnivores actually believe all of the animal meat they are eating is healthy? Do you really think you need 150-200 grams of protein per day? Really??
57. Why do fitness competitors/bodybuilders call themselves ‘athletes’ when they don’t do anything on stage besides stand around and pose?
58. How can you be considered an athlete when your ‘sport’ takes place on a stage? On stage in a tiny thong! 😀
59. Will bodybuilding ever be ‘cool enough’ to become an NCAA sport? An Olympic sport? Oh wait…there is the steroid thing…
60. Do the fitness models/bodybuilders who take steroids actually think nobody knows?
61. Why do Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and various other MLB players have to have Congressional Steroid Hearings but Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, and other top bodybuilders don’t? Does congress have no respect for bodybuilding? Do they consider it unimportant?
62. Do people still truly believe that supplements actually work?
63. Do people still truly believe that the bodybuilders in those supplement ads have ever used that particular supplement even one time?
64. Did you really believe you could get ‘ripped six pack abs in six weeks’ like that magazine article said? Do you know that the fitness magazines actually own the supplement companies and use their publications as the primary channel for selling their supplement products?
65. When is the fitness industry going to stop lying to people?
66. Is is just me or is the phrase “Do Work” the cheesiest pre-workout expression of all time?
67. Why are so many women now-a-days wearing those ugly Roman Centurion style flat sandals? Do you ladies ever consult with straight guys before making these types of executive decisions? Those shoes look like they were stolen from a 3rd grade play nativity scene.
68. Do you have to be politically correct if you hate politics?
69. Do the people who are constantly bitching about gas prices realize that if they stopped using so much gas that prices would go down? (This is economics lesson #2 of this post.)
70. Do any intelligent, educated people out there still refuse to believe in evolution?
71. Can you really save the environment by throwing away one or more plastic bottles per week? Do people actually believe their actions are a statistically event in the grand scheme of the universe? The earth has been here for millions of years before you and it will be here for millions of years after you’re gone regardless of what you do. Right? Are we that cocky now to actually believe that what we do in our lifetimes will actually make a difference in the universe? Perhaps we can? Where’s the evidence? How green do I have to go to save the world? Why should I care?
72. Why did my good friend Luke (one of the nicest, most genuine, & coolest people I know) have to die of cancer at the young age of 29? Do the good always die young? If so, why not be bad more often?
73. I wonder if the guy who said “money can’t buy happiness” had a Wave Runner? I’ve never seen an unhappy person on a Wave Runner in my entire life. You can’t help but smile when you ride those things! Just saying.
74. Why do people poke other people on Facebook? Why can’t I stop?
75. Are we still pretending that most stereotypes aren’t true?
76. What if Peyton Manning or Tom Brady was fighting dogs instead of Michael Vick?
77. Should I really care about Casey Anthony and her kid when there are thousands of dark skinned kids being killed in the inner city every day? Is one kids life worth more than another?
78. Why did my cousins 3 year old get shot in the head while playing outside his home last year? Why didn’t that make the local news? Why won’t you care about the story 15 minutes from now?
79. Why do white women clutch their purses and look scared when I walk by them when most serial killers/rapists are white guys?
80. Why don’t mainstream bodybuilding/fitness magazines put minorities on the covers of their magazines more often? I know plenty of Asian, Indian, Mexican, Black, etc fitness professionals who more than deserve it. Seriously fitness industry…am I not supposed to point out the giant elephant in the room?
Please leave your questions, comments, and more importantly your ANSWERS below!